1. Students are allowed to come to Malta only during one full calendar month, no mid-months accepted. There are no clerkships available in May or June.
2. The confirmation form and the flight details should be sent to the NEO-NORE with your date and time of arrival and departure 4 weeks before the start of the exchange or else you cannot be picked up from the airport on arrival. Students need to be able to speak and understand English and provide proof of their fluency in English.
3. Students must attend hospital Monday to Friday. If a student is going to take a day off, he/she must inform the tutor beforehand. However, to receive your certificate at the end of the exchange, he/she must have attended 80% of the clerkship/research exchange.
4. Students will be assigned to a consultant and his firm for the exchange period and the student cannot change the department once the exchange has begun.
5. The NEO-NORE should be notified of cancellations at least 5 weeks before the start of the exchange.
6. Friends or family may visit students in Malta but they cannot stay at the students’ accommodation and it must not interfere with the students’ clerkship at hospital.
7. Accommodation given cannot be changed during the clerkship.
8. Cancellations after payment are not refundable if the cancellation is made by the student.
9. The NEO-NORE reserves the right to cancel any clerkship if it receives any complaints of misconduct or unethical practice both in hospital as well as at the lodgings. The students responsible for such acts are held liable for any damage incurred during the clerkship.
10. The Malta Medical Students’ Association (MMSA) is not liable for the loss or damage of any student’s property or person.
11. Students must fill in their IFMSA Evaluation Form before receiving their certificate.
12. Students who need a VISA to enter Malta can apply for it at any Maltese, Italian or Austrian embassy since Malta is now part of Schengen. However, if a students’ VISA is denied there is nothing the MMSA can do. Check VISA requirements at the link provided below: http://www.foreign.gov.mt/pages/main.asp?sec=83
Always request Invitation Letters from the MMSA in advance.
13. STUDENTS MUST HAVE THEIR SCOPE-HANDBOOK, AND FILL IT IN DURING THE CLERKSHIP! STUDENTS FAILING TO FILL IN THE HANDBOOK WILL NOT RECEIVE THE EXCHANGE CERTIFICATE!
14. Those non-EU students who may need to exchange money should kindly contact NEO/NORE as the MMSA has an advantageous agreement with Fexserv Financial Services (http://www.fexserv.com/). ATMS are also available at Mater Dei and on Campus.
Extra Rules for Research students
1. The projects are allocated to the student according to availability and according to the student’s motivation letter. Motivation letters determine whether or not the student is accepted. All projects require that students already have had experience in the field of their choice.
2. Since the tutors do not sign any contracts to take on students, they can decide not to take students; therefore the projects allocated can change at the last moment. The student is immediately notified and another project is found which is as similar as possible to the one the student had previously chosen. If unfortunately no project is found, the student would be asked to postpone his/her exchange for the following month or year. In Malta, tutors are not to carry out such month sessions and therefore they take on students out of their own free will.
3. If a particular month is full up, the student is asked whether he/she can change the month they had chosen, if they cannot change the month of their research exchange, there can be substitutions with other students that can come on the month that is available or else postpone the research to the following year.
4. Project title may vary a little, since this depends on the research the tutor is doing at that particular time. Usually the research of the tutor is on the same area.